Whether you have been pregnant, overweight, or simply accumulated fat as a result of your genetic predisposition, age, or resistance to diet and exercise, Athleo L. Cambre, MD, can assess your situation and perform a tummy tuck surgery to give you a flatter abdomen. If you’d like to find out if you’re a candidate, call his office in the West Hollywood area of Los Angeles or book your consultation online today.
What is a tummy tuck?
Tummy tucks are body-contouring surgeries that remove some of the fat from your abdomen. Technically termed an abdominoplasty, the procedure removes excess fat and skin from your core region.
Dr. Cambre also tightens and reconstructs any muscle and connective tissue that has been stretched or weakened with weight gain and/or pregnancies. If there are stretch marks in the lower abdomen, Dr. Cambre removes those along with the excess skin.
A successful tummy tuck yields permanent results as long as you don’t gain a significant amount of weight or become pregnant in the future. Once your tummy tuck is complete, you’ll have a flatter belly that looks smooth, natural, and toned.
Who is a candidate for a tummy tuck?
Tummy tucks are great for patients who are at or near their ideal weight but have some loose skin or fat on their abdomen. Dr. Cambre may recommend a tummy tuck as an option for you if you’re uncomfortable with your stomach area because you:
- Have undergone a major weight loss
- Have had one or more pregnancies and are not planning future pregnancies
- Had surgery on your abdomen (e.g., a cesarean section)
- Have experienced age-related bodily changes
- Have loose skin of the abdomen without excessive fat
Dr. Cambre may advise against Tummy Tuck if you:
- Plan to lose more weight
- Plan to become pregnant in the future
- Are classified as obese and may achieve more benefit from other types of medical or surgical weight loss procedures
- Are diabetic
- Have heart disease
If you meet all of the criteria, Dr. Cambre will discuss the limitations and risks of the surgery to make sure you’re fully informed about the procedure and how it works.
How should I prepare for my tummy tuck surgery?
Preparing for a tummy tuck involves several general steps to set yourself up for a successful surgery. After Dr. Cambre approves you for the procedure, he may suggest:
- Mandatory smoke cessation
- Avoiding certain medications and supplements that increase bleeding (e.g., aspirin)
- Getting as close as possible to your ideal weight and maintaining your it for at least six months before your surgery
While Dr. Cambre performs the tummy tuck procedure in his office, you should treat it as you would any significant surgery with anesthesia. You must arrange for a ride home after your appointment and for someone to stay with you as you recover; alternatively, some patients opt to spend the first day or two in a recovery facility with nursing assistance
Excess fat on your abdomen can be covered with loose clothing, but it can also affect your confidence. To find out if you’re a candidate for a tummy tuck, call Athleo L. Cambre, MD, or book your consultation online now.